Wednesday, April 24, 2013

World War II Memorial - Washington, D.C.

I have had the good fortune to visit the WWII Memorial twice. Once with my wife, and once alone. The first time, it was part of our "itinerary" in looking at all of the memorials, which was a great tour.  By the time we made it to the WWII Memorial, it was getting dark and I was only able to get a few decent photos.  The Korean War and Vietnam memorials are very much worth the time and effort as well.


I knew I wasn't able to spend as much time as I wanted to with the WWII Memorial especially, and thankfully I have been able to visit D.C. regularly for a conference related to my work.  The next year, I was by myself and planned my own trip at 7AM to hopefully get some good photos before other people were out.

It paid off to get up early, because I was the only person in the World War II Memorial for nearly a full hour. Being a (very) amateur photographer, I may not have positioned myself for the best angles, but I got some pretty good shots.  Alone with my thoughts, I wished my father had been able to see this great memorial built for him and all the others who fought in the war.  It would have been a great time to have walked around with him.

I would highly recommend anyone to visit if you ever have the chance.  And, by all means try to get any WWII veteran you know to go there.  Honor Flights is a fantastic organization that just might make it possible for a veteran that does not have the means to get there independently.

Here are a few of the photos I took that morning: