Monday, April 8, 2013

Marines Reveal True Story of World War II's Pacific Theater

This book looks like it will make it on my wish list.
"Voices of the Pacific: Untold Stories From the Marine Heroes of World War II" chronicles the United States Marine Corps' actions in the Pacific theater in World War II, within the wider war, presenting the true stories of heroism and honor told by 15 men who lived it.
As the article mentions, Richard Greer served with John Basilone, a legendary USMC figure from Iwo Jima and Mr. Greer had a role in helping with the HBO series "The Pacific", which is second only to "Band of Brothers" in my favorite Blu-Ray collection.  Other than John Basilone's story, "The Pacific" primarily followed Eugene Sledge and Robert Leckie of the 1st Marine Division.  It was special for me (and my family) to watch the path of the 1st Marine Division through the Pacific islands and know that (starting with Cape Gloucester), my father's boots were in the same sand and on the same coral rock as the characters portrayed in the series.

The book sounds fantastic and I will post a sort of review when I read it.

Read the entire article here :
http://www.thepilot.com/news/2013/apr/07/the-down-and-dirty-marines-reveal-true-story-of/